August 2022

Page A22 August 2022 FUNERAL HOME & CEMETERY NEWS Se c t i on A NORCROSS,GA— CEO Paul Haarer is proud to welcome three new funeral firms to the Pinnacle family: Brintlinger and Earl Funeral Homes, located in Decatur and Cerro Gordo, IL; PurathStrand Funeral Home and Crematory in Racine, WI as well as Delehanty Funeral Home in Loves Park, IL. “These acquisitions are just the start of a new era of exponential growth for Pinnacle and continues to solidify our presence in the Midwest,” explains Haarer, “We have found a great synergy in the region of like-minded funeral professionals who trust us to carry their traditions of service into the future.” “massive cerebral hemorrhage.” But there was nothing any of the doctors could have done; the cerebral hemorrhage had been too severe. At 3:35 PM, President Franklin D. Roosevelt died on his small bed in his beloved second home in Warm Springs. Nothing happened concerning the care of FDR’s remains until about 7:30 PM, when a call was made directly to Fred W. Patterson, head of H. M. Patterson & Son Funeral Home in Atlanta. Mr. Patterson and his team arrived at the little cottage and the body of the president was embalmed in his bedroom. Roosevelt was casketed in a National Seamless Copper Deposit. The funeral train pulled out from Warm Springs around 9:05 AM. The windows on the train car holding Roosevelt’s coffin were left open, and the coffin was easily visible. Thousands of people gathered along the tracks as the train made its way through south and central Georgia to Atlanta. The train arrived in Atlanta at 1:30 PM on April 13. Sometime on the afternoon of April 13, 1945, Franklin D. Roosevelt crossed the border of Georgia for the last time. The funeral train arrived in Washington, DC on April 14, which was the 80th anniversary of the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln. The funeral procession of President Franklin D. Roosevelt on the streets of Washington DC was impressive. The president’s casket was drawn on a military caisson with six white By Todd Van Beck Roosevelt arrived in Warm Springs, Georgia suffering from exhaustion. His doctor recommended total rest, and for several days, he followed those instructions. At Easter services on April 1, there was a noticeable tremor in his movements. He dropped his prayer book and glasses during the service. At the Little White House in Warm Springs, Roosevelt slept late on the morning of April 12. He ate a light breakfast around 9:30 AM in preparation for a barbecue planned for that afternoon. FDR seated himself at his desk to go over some State Department papers, while chatting with two visiting cousins and two other women, one of whom was there to do his portrait. Roosevelt continued to sign routine official papers, while the artist worked on her portrait. At 1:00 PM, he told her that they only had fifteen more minutes before they were to eat lunch and prepare for the barbecue. Suddenly his hand fell, with the fingers twitching. One of his cousins asked if he had dropped something, and he murmured “I have a terrific headache.” Then, Roosevelt’s arm fell to his side, his head sagged, and his entire body slumped in the chair. It was 1:15 PM. The medical prognosis was plain; Roosevelt had suffered what the doctor would characterize as a Franklin Delano Roosevelt the thirty-second President of the United States of America Rest in Peace, Mr. President. That was the hope...that our presidents would rest in peace, but that has not always happened. For example, between 1865 and 1901 Lincoln’s remains were moved 18 times. Funerals are a reflection of how people live their lives, and this remains true for the funerals of our U.S. presidents. This series offers a glimpse into the deaths and funerals of our presidents, while offering overdue recognition to the scores of funeral professionals who labored ceaselessly to carry out the wishes of the presidents, their families, and in some cases, the wishes of the United States government. Each account tells an interesting story. —TVB Rest In Peace, Mr. President horses and was escorted by men on motorcycles. Crowds lined the sidewalks. The funeral procession went directly to the White House, where the casket was placed in the East Room. At the White House, Mrs. Roosevelt asked that the casket be opened. She placed some flowers inside and then ordered it to be permanently sealed. Later that evening, the funeral procession returned the casket to Union Station, where it was put on a funeral train en route to Hyde Park along the same route that Lincoln’s funeral train had taken. Joseph Gawler’s Sons Funeral Directors were serving the Roosevelt family in Washington DC. Upon arriving at Hyde Park, Mr. Henry Page, who owned the Ralph Vander Worden Funeral Home, was waiting with his funeral coach. Mr. Page had previously buried the President’s mother. The Vander Worden Funeral Home was a wellestablished funeral company, which had served the Roosevelt family many times over the years. Six hundred West Point cadets stood in formation at the gravesite as a simple Episcopal funeral service was held. As the body was being lowered into the grave, the rector of St. James Episcopal Church prayed, “Now the laborer’s tale is o’er. Now the battle day is passed. Now upon the farther shore, lands the voyager at last.” Then three volleys were fired and the bugler played taps. Todd W. Van Beck is associated with John A. Gupton College in Nashville, and has been an author, teacher, practitioner, and speaker for over 40 years. On May 30, 2018 Van Beck celebrated 50 years in funeral service. You can reach Todd at 615-327-3927. F U N E R A L H O M E & C E M E T E R Y N E W S w w w . N o m i s P u b l i c a t i o n s . c o m Monthly Columnsonline at Elizabeth Shoumatoff was working on this portrait when Franklin D. Roosevelt died. Phone: 877-770-TIES (8437) Fax: 276-466-3474 E-mail: STYLISH MATCHING TIES FOR PROFESSIONALS Any Size Group or Organization Pinnacle Funeral Service Acquires Three New Funeral Firms in Illinois Paul Haarer Earlier this month Pinnacle acquired Purath-Strand Funeral Home and Crematory in Racine, WI owned by Gary Strand and earlier this year Pinnacle closed a deal with Delehanty Funeral Home in Loves Park, IL, partnering with Paul Lizer. In each of these acquisitions Haarer says “The owners have built a strong team and we look forward to supporting them as we continue to provide top-notch service to their families.” Brintlinger & Earl Funeral Homes, founded 1883, is co-owned by Dan Brintlinger. As a retired board memContinued on page A23 I n v i t a t i o n s • y a r d s i g n s • p o s t e r s • s t a m p e r s S e a t i ng C h a r t s • A cc e s s o r i e s • B u s i n e s s C a r d s F o r m s • l a b e l s • P r o m o t i o n a l I t e m s • T I C K E T S 8570 Foxwood Court Youngstown, Ohio 44514 800-321-7479 Now offering a Personalized Memorial Line c u s t o m g r e e t i n g c a r d s • f u n e r a l p r o g r a m s • m e m o r i a l i n v i t a t i o n s t - s h i r t s • m a g n e t s • p r ay e r c a r d s • C a n v a s P r i n t s • f u l l c o l o r b a n n e r s Membe rs of t he Fune r a l Indu s t r y Sa v e 1 0% Ev e r y Da y ! Ca l l today for you r FREE Samp l e K i t